I’m Dave Mackey and I’ve been working in IT for the last 18 years. I’ve been coding since childhood.
Most of those 18 years I’ve worked primarily on the systems side with coding as a secondary or tertiary responsibility. But coding is really what I love doing and am now looking to pivot into a development job – ideally remote (but, for the right job/company…).
I was IT Director for Liquid Church (a large, multi-campus nonprofit in Northern NJ) for the past several years and oversaw IT systems across six campuses. I could prattle on about this and other experiences, but I’ll leave that to my LinkedIn profile.
I am in the process of transitioning out of Liquid. This involves onboarding the new IT Director and working on some web development projects for Liquid. I’m looking for my next employer and wondering if it should be you? If the answer is yes, shoot me an email at dave @ davemackey.net. Thanks!
What I’m Looking For
- Remote First.1 For the right job opportunity I’d be willing to work on-site, and am open to relocation.
- Reasonable, livable wage.
- Health insurance, PTO.
- Positive Culture.
- Work/Life Balance.
Of course I’d welcome other perks, but those are kind of the essentials.2Other perks that I find particularly attractive (unsorted): flexible work schedule, equipment and/or education allowances, regular (at least annual) full-team retreats, dental/vision insurance, 401(k) matching, life insurance, FSA/HSA, equity/stock options.
Why You Might Be Looking For Me
- Coding isn’t just a job, it’s part of who I am.3 Starting with BASIC on the Commodore 64 and Apple II Series. Moving to Qbasic on Windows PCs, later Visual Basic, ASP, ASP.NET, VB.NET, C#, Python, PHP, and JS.
- I solve problems for breakfast.
- I love (and am adept at) learning technologies / languages / systems.
- I have diverse experience both inside and outside of IT which allows me to provide productive perspectives.4I’ve worked for an internet startup, in higher education, and for non-profits as well as SMBs. In the distant past I’ve worked in roles such as a commercial fisherman, custodial, on a farm, etc.
- I work hard, am loyal, and have a passion for doing things well.
- I enjoy helping/teaching others and am willing to accept help.
- I am passionate about making a better world.
What Might Be Helpful To Know About How I Code
- I believe in self-documenting code but I’m also a fan of documenting code (is there a term for that?).5There is Knuth’s Literate Programming but that is a bit beyond what I’m thinking.
- I favor expressive code over code brevity. I want to understand what I wrote 10 mo.’s later.
- I’m an advocate of using Google, StackOverflow, et al. in pursuit of answers to coding dilemmas but when I find an answer I want to understand it, not copy and paste.
If you’ve reached the end of this post let me provide my email once again: dave @ davemackey.net. I hope to hear from you!